Just because it is September, doesn't mean summer is over really. It's still warm and the evenings are still long, we just have less freedom in our days to play however and whenever we want. I tried to be extra aware in August, during our "last days" of summer. We did our usual...swimming, riding bikes, play dates with friends....but I also squeezed in some outings with just the kids. Tried as I might to soak our final days, the time flew right by. And here we are...back in the school routine and trying to make sense of our new stage in life. But before we go there, here is what we did in August.
The kids and I did a "nature hike" at Weldon Springs. We haven't visited the Springs all summer and we saw lots of nature! ...Spiders, bees, a snake, chipmunks, fish, a huge crane that flew right over our heads and made us scream, but I think our favorite discovery of all was this friendly duck. We got such a kick out of him following us all around. I have a feeling this wasn't his first nature hike. The thing had no fear.
The day before the first day of school we did a chicken leg picnic at the "big park" in Bloomington. This was mostly for Ben. It is one of his favorite activities and the transition into Kindergarten was taking a toll on his nerves. It's a big deal for me too. Being home with him all day, every day (well, except his time at pre-school) to now having to share him with the world. I don't think I'm ready to share him yet. He's growing and changing so quickly, I just want to package him up and hold him tight. But instead I will watch him grow and be incredibly proud of the boy he is becoming. This was a big summer for Ben. He learned to tie his shoe, to ride his bike without training wheels, and swim without his backpack on. Oh, I love that boy. And for that, we celebrated the last day of summer break with chicken legs in the park.
Speaking of firsts for Ben, he hosted his first sleepover! Abel came for the night. These two cracked me up, constant giggles. I wish would would have videoed Abe's arrival. He was skip-running down the sidewalk, suitcase in one hand, the other arm fist pumping in the air, with a mile wide smile on his face. Ben was standing in the window jumping and whooping & hollering. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. I love their friendship.

That about wraps up our big events for August. Here a few snapshots to fill in the rest. What a great summer we had!








0 comments:
Post a Comment