Saturday, June 6, 2009

When Daddy's Away, the Girls will Play

Drew left this morning for his week-long fishing trip up North. It is going to be a long week without him! We had a busy first day though.

After saying good-bye to Daddy, Kate and I headed out to our first Mom & Tots Gymnastics class. Kate pretty much jumped the whole 45 minutes. The entire floor of the gym is springy and she bounced from station to station. She says her favorite things were the trampoline and the rings. Turns out Kate is pretty coordinated and she did really well. I was impressed by her somersault! But, the girl seriously can't roll. We'll have to work on our log rolls before next week!

While Kate and I were at gymnastics, Aunt Jenn watched Ben. When we got home, Jenn painted Kate's toes. She's thrilled! Periodically throughout the day she would dramatically say "Oh, look Mommy!". After giving her the equally dramatic reaction she was looking for, I would ask her what color they were. Each time she would enthusiastically shout, "YELLOW!!". (They are pink.)

In the afternoon we turned the backyard into a water park. The weather was perfect for running through the sprinkler and soaking up a little sun.


Ben actually let me put him down for a good hour or so without crying!! Here he is enjoying a little time under the umbrella.

A friend of my dad's was playing in a band at a restaurant that evening. Kate said she wanted to dance! So, we met my parents, brother & sister there for dinner. Turns out Kate was a little tired from all the day's activities, swaying with her fingers in her mouth was the best dance move she could muster up. I also found out that she has not yet conquered her fear of sand. The restaurant had a couple sand volleyball courts and there were lots of kids out there playing. Uncle Matt took her out to play and she clung to him like a little monkey. She wasn't about to put her feet in that sand!! I think her little sand phobia goes right along with her not wanting to be dirty.

It was time to leave and we were waiting outside the restaurant for the valet (a.k.a. my dad) to bring up my car when Kate noticed a "cycle". (She has a fascination with motorcycles.) She went running towards the motorcycle, which wasn't just any motorcycle but a very expensive looking Harley Davidson. Aunt Jenn ran behind her trying to stop her just as guess who walked out of the restaurant...the owner of the "cycle". Luckily he was excited to show off his bike. He let Kate sit on it, play the radio, and even start it! (Who knew it would start with the push of a button?!)I snapped this picture right after Kate started the cycle, which explains the startled look on her face. I think it was WAY louder than she expected it to be!

Our first day without Daddy flew by. I don't think we can keep up this pace all week but we do have some fun things planned - a play date with the Goebel boys and a trip to Shelbyville to visit Grammy. And Daddy, if you are checking this to see what we've been up to...we miss you!!

0 comments: