Monday, June 22, 2009

My Son

I feel like I don't post much about Ben. I love going back and reading my old posts about Kate, just to reminisce. My blog is like a scrapbook to me, documenting all my baby girl's firsts, our outings, and fun times together. I'm so glad I have it to look back at. I want to make sure I give Ben the attention he deserves. So, here is my little man, the good, the bad, and the cute (there's no ugly about it, this kid is stinkin' adorable!).

Ben is 9 weeks now. One thing about Ben is he cries...a lot. I feel helpless...and frustrated...and guilty for ignoring Kate to tend to him. I can't find anything that settles him consistently. Today at his 2 month appointment the doctor concluded (because of the crying and other symptoms) that Ben has acid reflux. And although he hates to put someone so tiny on a medication, he really thought a little Zantac might help us out. I'm praying that this is the answer we've been looking for. Dr. said to give it a week and see if we get any results...if not he has a few other tricks up his sleeve. Even if it doesn't work (but praying that it will), it felt good to be justified in my frustrations and knowing that something is wrong with Ben, it isn't serious, it isn't just his personality, and it can be fixed!

Ben is sleeping about 2-3 hours at a time (usually closer to the 2 than the 3). Luckily though, after he eats he goes right back to sleep (usually). Even so, I'm tired! And, the doctor is optimistic that Ben's sleep will improve as the acid reflux is controlled.

While he may not sleep, my boy can eat. He is an eating machine - loud and messy. When he wants it, he wants it NOW! He weighs in at 14lbs. That puts him in the 97th percentile for weight. I'm not sure where he is hiding all this weight because, unlike his sister before him, he doesn't really look "chubby". He has his fair share of rolls, he just doesn't look like 97%tile material.

Ben loves a nice warm bath, but not being removed from it! He wants to be held, in fact he often demands it. When I enter a room and he hears my voice, he looks around to find me (I love it.). He likes to be swaddled tight, tight, tight and lounging in his swing. Ben has been smiling at us for about 2 weeks now and the frequency is definitely increasing. He smiles big open mouthed smiles showing off the two dimples in his left cheek. It kind of makes all the crying seem worth it.

1 comments:

Kristen said...

I am also using our blog as a journal/baby book and am in the process of converting each year into a book. You can go to blurb.com to turn your blog into a book. It is a bit time-consuming, but I don't know what I would do if blogger ever crashed and lost all of my posts! I love the picture of Ben with the huge grin. Hopefully the Zantac has starting helping the reflux!