Friday, April 24, 2009

Adjusting to Life as a Family of Four

We are 12 days in to being a foursome. I think we are adjusting pretty well. It is hard for me to give the attention I'd like to give to Kate. Ben is so demanding of my time. Even though I wouldn't trade my son for the world, it does make me miss the days when it was just Kate and I. And, I have forgotten a lot of what life with a newborn is all about (Ben is quickly refreshing my memory though).

Drew went back to work this week and my mom moved in. God bless my mother! She was able to give Kate the one-on-one attention she is starving for and give me a morning nap (and sometimes an afternoon nap too!).

Here is what we've been up to the last 12 days.

Ben, well he sleeps...a lot. If he isn't sleeping, he's eating. Now, if we could just get him to do more sleeping at night and more eating during the day.

Sleeping...

Sleeping...

And more sleeping...
I know from Kate how quickly these days fly by. I'm trying to soak in every minute (no matter how tired I am).

Kate has been spending some quality time with Mono (a.k.a. my mom). Although she has a few more meltdowns than usual and she has been having trouble falling asleep at night (I hope this passes quickly!!!), she has been such a big helper to me. She sings so sweetly to Ben when he is in his swing or bouncer seat. Her favorite song to sing to him is "The Wheels on the Bus" or "Rock a Bye Baby". The other night she was singing "You are my Sunshine", that is the song I sing to her. She always informs me when Ben's eyes are open. He doesn't open them very often - but when he does, she makes sure I know about it! "Eyes op! Eyes op!" She pats him when he is fussy and helps me throw diapers away or get wipes out. I know she loves her little brother even though she did tell my sister she could keep him today! Her latest past time is dressing up. I never know what she is going to come up with next....

This was her first "outfit". She came down for breakfast dressed like this one morning.

Here she is sporting Ben's hat.

Today this was her outfit of choice. This one she wore to Ben's doctor appointment and then to the mall. I'm trying to tell myself that all the looks and smiles we got were "Oh, she's so cute" smiles and not "I can't believe her mother let her wear that out in public" smiles.

Since Ben's homecoming Kate has been having trouble falling asleep at night. This makes me sad because she has always, since birth, been a great sleeper. The old Kate would tell me when it was time to take a nap or go to bed at night. The new Kate needs to sing one more song or say her prayers one more time. Then she has to be returned to her bed several times before she finally gives in. And, she has an entourage that she has to sleep with. Every night it seems to grow a little more.(Yes, there is even a ceramic piggy bank in her bed.)

That about sums up life in the Goebel House. We'll see how this next week goes. I'm on my own until the following week when Drew's mom moves in to spoil us. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Amanda reading this blog made me cry. I can't believe how fast time flies and how my little Kate is now singing to Ben songs you sang to her (but it's so cute to listen to her sing). She is and always will be my little sunshine. Not a day goes by that I don't think of how lucky I am to have a niece like Kate. I was SO scared to have this new little miracle enter the world, cause I just didn't think i had any love I could share, it all went to Kate. But wow how I was wrong. God truly has blessed me as an aunt! And I thank him daily! And I also want to thank you and Drew for bring these two amazing angels into the world to be MY niece and nephew. I love you guys and I'm glad your now a family of four! (you are an amazing mother)

Goodrich Family said...

Sounds like things are going well at home. When people ask me questions about Jaxson when he was little, I seem to forget some of those sleepless nights too! I hope that Ben starts sleeping for you guys and Kate too. I think Kate just might be at that age where she isn't sleeping as well. We're kind of going through that now too. Once everyone in our household is over our cold we'll have to meet Ben! Love the pictures!!