Last week Luke had his tonsils & adenoids removed. He had been struggling with breathing issues and sleep apnea for quite some time and it became clear our only option was to remove his extremely large tonsils. We've been done this road with Kate, so we knew the outcome would be worth it even though the recovery is a tough one. Given the horrible experience we had with Kate's surgery, I was very anxious as our procedure date grew closer and closer. Thankfully, from start to finish, Luke's experience couldn't be more different than Kate's.
Leading up to the surgery people kept asking me if we had told Luke yet. We hadn't. I didn't know what to tell him, besides he's only 2. He wouldn't understand any way. The night before the surgery I asked Drew (for probably the 10th time) if we should tell Luke. Finally Drew says he'd tell him. It went like this:
Drew: come here Lukey!
Luke comes running into the kitchen all smiles
Drew: You know those balls in the back of your throat?
Luke: Uhhhhh...Yes!
Drew: Well the doctor is going to take them out tomorrow, OK?
Luke: OK!!
Drew: Fist bump?
Luke fist bumps him and runs out.
....not exactly what I had in mind, but I guess now he knew.
The morning of the surgery we had to be at the surgery center at 7 a.m.
Aunt Jenn came over to get the older two up and to school for us. At
7:45, the nurse carried Luke off to surgery. He didn't cry when she
took him, but he looked scared to death he looked over her shoulder at us
as she carried him down the hall.

We got home and Luke was excited to see Aunt Jenn. He was drooling massively, but happy. He was talking in a super nasally voice, and literally running around. I couldn't believe how well he was doing. At one point shortly after we arrived home he was dancing. When he turned around and looked at me his nose was bleeding...so, maybe dancing 5 hours after surgery isn't the best idea! The first few days after surgery, Luke was great. If I asked him if anything hurt, he'd point to his throat. He didn't say much, and when he did he would talk without moving his lips. He never complained about the pain, he's such a tough little buddy.
It wasn't until day 6 after surgery that poor Lukey got hit hard. He was up almost every hour at night. He quit eating what little he had been eating, and he was very irritable. By this point he had lost almost 3 pounds (which is a lot when you only weigh 30 to begin with). I was worried that he was going downhill right when I thought he should be about over it and called his doctor. I was assured that this is normal. His scabs are falling off and for a lot of kids this part is worse than immediately after surgery. I've clocked lots of hours in the rocking chair with this little guy this week! That's OK, it's a pretty good way to spend a day. (Look at the drool on his shirt. Poor buddy.)
Today is Day 9 and the best day he has had so far. It's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I can't wait to have my old Lukey back.


0 comments:
Post a Comment