Time has flown by since we returned from trip our to NYC a couple of weeks ago. We had so much fun, I've been wanting to get some pictures up to share.
I will never be able to describe the anticipation and excitement Kate had for this trip, but it is something I'll hold in my heart forever. For nearly the past 2 years, Kate has had an (obnoxious) obsession with the movie Annie. Anyone in our neighborhood could attest to this as I'm sure Kate belting out "...the sun'll come out, tomorrow..." at the top of her lungs on a daily basis can be heard for blocks. And, if she isn't in her full Annie "costume", at the very least she has the wig on...riding her bike, jumping on the trampoline, etc. Last year Annie re-opened on Broadway. I searched for traveling tours, but found nothing. I dreamed of taking Kate to New York City, but that sounds ridiculous doesn't it! Well, fast-forward to April 18, 2013...Kate, Grammy, and I are on a plane headed to NYC to see Annie on Broadway. Crazy!
The production of Annie was everything I had hoped it would be. I'd see it again in a heartbeat. The sets were fabulous, I can still hear the music in my mind, and Annie was absolutely adorable. Kate is even more in love (and I didn't think that could be possible). The ending scene is one I think I'll never forget. It is Kate's favorite part of the movie, and it was perfect in the show. The giant crystal Christmas tree, Annie in her red dress tap dancing with Daddy Warbucks... Kate was moved to tears; I think it was a mixture of the emotion from the storyline (Annie finding a home), the overwhelming stage before us, and the let-down that it was over.
Our hotel, The Milford, was just a block off of Times Square and 2 blocks from the Palace Theater. It was a great location for us. It was just a tiny little room. We were on the 20th floor and had a great view of the city. Kate enjoyed sitting at the window singing the song "Maybe", just like Annie.
Our main goal was to see Annie, but since we were in town we thought we'd pack in as many of the sights as we could. We visited Top of the Rock, strolled through Times Square at midnight when the lights were bright as day, took the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, walked down Wall Street and ended at the 911 Memorial. I wonder how many miles we walked?! Kate never complained once about the walking, even though I know her little legs had to be achy. Mine were! Out of all those NYC hot spots, Kate's favorite was the taxi and the subway. Ahh, through the eyes of a 6 year old. Although, she was quite taken with the Statue of Liberty.
We spent the last hour or so of our trip sitting in a little Irish pub directly across from the World Trade Center, or I guess the Freedom Building now. We were wiped out from late nights and walking. But, sitting here was one of my favorite parts of our trip. We recounted our trip detail by detail together and talked to people from all over the world. It was a great, relaxing way to end.
Maybe someday I'll share an Annie trip with Kate and her daughter. I know it is one musical that will always be special for us.



























0 comments:
Post a Comment