Drew and I goofed. We are new at this Santa gig, but we are learning from our mistakes! Kate really wanted a dollhouse for Christmas. I found the perfect one and I had been anticipating Christmas morning ever since. About a week before Christmas, Drew put the dollhouse together in our basement. The kids never go down there so we put it in the back room and simply shut the door. Well, you can probably guess what happened next...Kate found it. We turn our back on her for two seconds and she ventures to the basement. She comes up from the basement absolutely ecstatic. She's saying "Daddy, Daddy, come here, there is a dollhouse in our basement!!" I was devastated. So, we did what any honest, loving parent would do...we lied to her, big time. Drew quickly went to the basement and moved the dollhouse while I distracted her with questions about exactly what she thought she saw. When Drew called us down to the basement, guess what we found...absolutely nothing. Then we convinced her it must have been a dream. It was a very vivid dream, because she knew exact details about this dollhouse. But, it was simply a dream. She was disappointed but bought it hook, line, and sinker. (I do feel pretty guilty about that lie.)
Now, fast forward to Christmas morning. Can you imagine my baby girl's excitement when Santa leaves her the exact dollhouse she has been dreaming about?! It was a Christmas dream come true! Honestly, I do think she thinks something is up. She can't quite put her finger on what it is exactly, but she has some doubt. Kate has a habit of simply ignoring a question she doesn't know the answer to. Whenever I ask her about her dream and the dollhouse, she just pretends like she doesn't hear me! Christmas miracle or not, the girl loves her dollhouse.
Ben didn't have any Christmas "dreams" but he really got into the whole opening gifts thing. Much more so than I remember Kate at his age. He didn't care if it was his gift or not, he went after it full force!
We are so blessed, not just with "things", but with family and love. Here are a few pictures from our Christmas 2010.
Christmas Eve in Gridley.
Christmas morning at home.
The day after Christmas in Shelbyville.













2 comments:
I absolutely love your big fat lie! :) Very clever, very clever!
one problem there. What about our other Grandmas Christmas at the LeSages in Watseka?
Post a Comment