Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School Days

Today was Kate's first day of Nursery School.  Being the first day, parents were invited to attend along with the kiddos.  I learned a lot about my daughter this morning.  Mostly that she has WAY more confidence than I ever knew.  She is out-going, and social, and bold...all qualities she did not get from her mother... 

Upon arrival, Kate tells her teacher, "I have a dog, her name is Jackie and she has vvvvvery long legs!"  Excellent information for her teacher to have on the first day of school. 

Once the entire class had arrived, it was circle time.  While the other children were being led by the hand or pried away from their mother's leg, Kate dashed to the rug announcing "I'm going to sit by the teacher!"  And that she did, right next to the teacher.  The other kids sat as far away from the teacher as possible.  As story time proceeded Kate assumed that every question the teacher asked was aimed directly at her and she answered each one with great enthusiasm.  The teacher held up a maraca and asked, "Does anyone know what this is?"   Kate shouted, "A maraca!!".  (I didn't even know she knew that word, must be a Dora thing.)  Then the teacher asked what makes the noise inside the maraca when it shakes.  Instantly Kate said, "Oh, probably beans....or maybe rice".  Again, I'm impressed (but a little surprised at her audaciousness). 

 After storytime each of the kids went around the circle and said their name.  Most of them were so timid I could barely understand them.  Not Kate, she proudly announced, "My name is Kate Goebel".  Oh, that girl makes me smile.  She will learn a lot this year, hopefully a little about sharing and turn taking, maybe even about raising her hand before she answers a question.  Her teacher is kind, nurturing, and patient and seeks out the uniqueness in each child.  They should be a good match for each other.


She says she loves her new school, and that makes me happy. 

2 comments:

Wendy Smith said...

I love it! I am so glad that she did so well on her first day....I never had any doubts. She is a sweetheart!

emily zeller said...

Yeah! Glad it went well! What a sweetie!