Saturday, July 12, 2014

Our Summer (thus far)

I love Summer and I love having all 3 of my kids home.  We've been so busy and I've taken so many pictures; I had a hard time narrowing down my photos.  Be prepared.  It's a lot!

Kate has been playing softball and Ben baseball this summer.  Actually, their seasons are just now wrapping up.  Drew helped coach both of the kids' teams.  This is Kate's first year playing and her team traveled.  She improved quite a bit over the season and she really enjoyed playing (even though her favorite will always be volleyball she says).  I think she learned a lot and she got a chance to play all of the positions.  She proved to be a pretty consistent little hitter too!

 
 
 
 
 

This was Ben's second season playing t-ball.  He never had to hit off the tee though!  He consistently hit the ball out to the grass.  He really improved in field this year too.  It's amazing to see his growth from last season.  His team this year was really fun, we put it together ourselves so it was all of Ben's little buddies on the team and their dads coaching.  Ben really looked forward to his games and he is a little bummed his season is over.  
 
 


Another one of our 'big' events for the summer is the races.  We went with friends to the Farmer City Races.  We don't really understand the "rules" of racing, but we are slowly catching on and it is a fun way to spend an evening with friends.
 

We tried something new this summer and went to the Macon Raceway with the whole Goebel crew.  This is a different kind of racing than Farmer City.  The track is smaller, the cars throw mud all over the stands, and the smell of racing fuel is overwhelming.  Not a very good description of how much fun we had, is it!?  We had a picnic dinner in the parking lot then settled in for a night of racing.  Good times!
 
 


Drew took Ben to his first Cubs game.  They rode the train up and watched the game with a couple other dads/sons from our neighborhood.  I love the memories these two made.  Ben had a blast and I know he will remember it always.  I love hearing about the trip from Ben.  He was so appreciative and the excitement in his eyes was the best. 
 

We did our annual summer trip to the zoo with Grammy & Aunt Cathy.  Cathy is a zoo volunteer and gives us a behind the scene peek at the animals. 
 
 
 
 

We celebrated the Fourth of July in a huge way!  Our small neighborhood gathering from last year turned into a major party with close to 30 kiddos, a bounce house, and water slide this year.  Tons of fun!! The best part is the fire works are in our neighborhood so we didn't even have to leave the yard to see them.  We might have out done ourselves, there is no way we could top this celebration.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


I was fortunate enough to get to do a trip to Florida with a my girlfriends.  It was amazing to be able to relax with my friends in the Florida sun for a few days; memories to last a lifetime.  Grammy came to help with the kids while I was gone, so I know they were well entertained. 
 
 
 

That kind of sums up our big events , but we've been filling the in between times with our favorite summer activities.  ...trips to the library, swimming (lots, and lots of swimming), riding bikes (Ben is without training wheels!!!!), catching the free kids movies at the theater, and just hanging with friends.  It's been a good, good summer.  And the best part....it's not over yet!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments: