Friday, December 20, 2013

Gearing up for Christmas


We've been busy with lots of holiday activities.  And I'm so excited for Christmas to get here!  Here's what we've been up to! 

We visited Santa at the club. This particular Santa is an old friend of mine, back from my Clinton teaching days.  It's fun to share my family with him and shock my kids with how well Santa knows me.
 
There was plenty of activities for the kids and yummy snacks. 
 
 The kids had their faces painted.  They each picked the reindeer design.  Luke wouldn't let me get a picture of him, but they were so cute!
 
They had a balloon artist.  Kate and Logan somehow came up with an octopus idea.  So cool!
 Luke went for a sword, then wanted to fight everyone he saw. 

We got our first measurable snow, just in time to make it really feel like Christmas. I'd say we got about 5 inches.  Then the weather was absolutely perfect for playing outside. 
 
 
 

Drew and the kids (well, mostly Drew) built another HUGE snowman.  It took up all the snow in the front yard.

The kids had their Sunday School Christmas Program at church.  They all did a great job. 
 
 Luke's class did a few finger plays.  They sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Jingle Bells".  I don't think Luke sang much, but he sure looked cute!

I know this isn't a very clear picture, but I absolutely love it!  Ben (and Kate) were pretty nervous about getting up in front of the church to sing.  It was Ben's first time in front of an audience.  As his class took the stage, here comes Ben and his good buddy Jake holding hands.  How special to have a friend you trust to hold your hand during those uneasy times.  I hope he always has a good buddy like Jake to lean on.  This picture makes my heart happy. 
 Ben's class sang "10 Little Angels".
 And finally Kate's class sang "Go Tell it on the Mountain".  Kate was really, really nervous but she did awesome.  She knew all the words and sang her little heart out.  I loved being able to pick her sweet voice out of the group.
 Here's all the kids (except Luke's class) for the grand finale.  I'm so proud of all three of my kiddos.  They did great!
 Here's our attempt at a family picture after the program...maybe better luck next year...
We had the Annual Goebel Chili Cook-off in Springfield.  Unfortunately, Drew and I both had to hand over our trophies, but we had a good time just the same.  
  

One of my favorite Christmastime activities with the kids is getting into our jammies, making hot cocca,  popping popcorn, then going for a ride right before bed looking at Christmas lights.  I love the oohhs, and ahhhs, and excitement from the kids in the back seat.   I'm so blessed.
 

Ben's pre-school teacher put on a Christmas party for her students and their families.  Ben was so excited to share his school with of us and we were all really looking forward to the party.  Sadly, that afternoon Kate was sent home from school early with a fever.  It was heart breaking how disappointed Ben was that Kate, and now Dad, couldn't go.  But, the two of us went together and had a nice evening.  I'm so proud of the boy Ben is becoming. 
 
 
 
 

Here's one last picture...Luke enjoying his reindeer PB&J from Mrs. Carter at his Christmas party at the library. 

Tomorrow we take off for our Christmas adventures.  Lots of family, lots of miles, lots of excitement.  And best of all, Uncle Matt is home!  Off we go.  Merry Christmas!

0 comments: