Monday, February 25, 2013

Kate the Peace Builder

 As part of Kate's school's character education program, they follow a curriculum called Peace Builders.  Kate loves the activities that go along with it.  Every morning they recite the Peace Builder Pledge: "I pledge to praise people, give up put-downs, to notice hurts, to right wrongs.  I will build peace in my home, in my school and my community.  I am a Peace Builder".  Monthly, they have a school assembly and one student from each classroom is given the "Principal's Pre-ferral" for being a model Peace Builder.  For the whole first half of the year, Kindergarteners were exempt from receiving the award because they were still learning about being a Peace Builder.  The month of February was the first month Kindergarteners would be eligible.  And guess who won the month of February??  My baby girl!!  I couldn't be more proud of this girl. 

 
 

The funny thing is, Kate was pretty confident she was going to win when she went to school that morning.  She said she is nice to everyone and she has never gotten in trouble.  She has never had her apple turned over (which is part of her classroom behavior system) and she said she tries to be the first one to follow any direction Mrs. Hoke gives.  I knew she was absolutely right about all of those things (and that she did have a really good chance of getting the award).  But, her confidence was so high and she had been looking forward to the day that Kindergarteners could get it for so long, I was worried what would happen if she didn't get it.  Trying not to be a complete downer, I reassured her that I knew she would get the award at some point...it just might not be today.  She was on my mind all day; I was praying that her little heart wouldn't be broken. When I picked her up from school that afternoon and our eyes met, I knew from the look on her face that the award she had been waiting for was in her backpack!  I couldn't ask for anything more, this girl makes my heart super happy!

On to other exciting news...it snowed!  Finally, a real, significant amount of snow that we could actually play in!!  We have waited all winter for this.  According to the weatherman, it was all supposed to melt that afternoon (I should have learned by now, the weatherman is never right.  The snow is STILL here.)  It was a beautiful morning with the fresh snow and comfortable temperatures.  To beat what we thought would be melting snow, the boys and I rushed out first thing in the morning to build the snowman we've been waiting all winter for. 
 
 
 

It was a fun morning with my boys.  Ok Winter, we got what we wanted from you.  You can go now!

0 comments: