Back in September Kate brought a flyer home from school about YMCA Youth Soccer. She had already decided she wanted to do dance instead of soccer this year, so I was about to throw it away. Then Ben piped up. He wanted to play soccer! Indeed, the youngest age group was 3 & 4 year olds so we signed him right up. He was super excited. The first session was a clinic (every one after was a "game"). Even though the program as a whole seemed very unorganized, Ben's coach was awesome and there were a couple of kids playing in his age group that we knew.
But instead of only getting better and better as the season went on, he got...less and less interested, I guess that's what it was. By the 2nd or 3rd game, the ball could roll right over his foot and he wouldn't try to kick it. His coach, bless him, did everything he could to try to encourage Ben to be more involved. On occasion Ben would actually run with the kids or take a few kicks, but for the most part he could be found wandering on his own, checking out how the net was all hooked together, or looking for something in the grass. But, every time I asked him if he liked playing soccer he always responded with an enthusiastic "I LOVE soccer!!".
Last weekend was his last game of the season. The past couple of games have been pretty cold and wet, and Ben barely participated at all. I thought it felt good to be done. I told Ben on the way home that he just played his last game. He replied, "Yep, til next year, right Mom?" ...right, Ben. Seriously, you gotta love that boy!








0 comments:
Post a Comment