Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Taste of Home

So far this week we've had lots of visitors from home.  They all came at just the right time.  We've been in our new house just long enough that the newness and excitement is wearing off and we've been missing some of our old daily routines.

On Sunday afternoon our neighbors came down.  When I told Kate they were coming, she said "Mom, they aren't our neighbors anymore."  I guess she's right; she came up with an even better name instead.  She says, "Now we call them our friends!"  Very true, Kate.  Although I think they will always be neighbors in my mind.  It was an awesome day.  The girls ran around and screamed and giggled.  Meaghan took over baby patrol.  The guys tromped around the woods and the yard. Steph and I enjoyed a margarita while sitting out in our lawn chairs.  It was a flashback to our regular Sunday afternoon routine.  We loved it!

 

Tuesday afternoon Cara and Betsy came down with their crew.  Kate and Jacey had a very sister-like relationship and they've definitely been missing each other.  It was just like old times, they immediately stripped down and tried on about every outfit combination they could come up with from Kate's closet,before settling on swimsuits for most of the day.  The kids ran laps in the basement, jumped on the trampoline, giggled and played all afternoon while I got to catch up with two of my favorite girls.  I didn't get my camera out while they were here, but here is proof that this little boy had a good time!

The next day Grammy came up to watch the boys while Kate and I met up with her nursery school class for their field trip to the children's museum in Normal.  Kate has been anticipating seeing her classmates again, and I was excited for her.  When we arrived 2 of the girls from her class were already waiting by the window for us to get there.  There were lots of hugs and cheers for Kate, we felt very welcomed!  There were only 4 girls in her class in all, so they were all pretty close.  It was good to see the 4 of them back together again.


Kate soaked in all the time she possibly could with the girls.  I'm so glad we went.
 

Since Grammy had the boys (and was doing such a nice job at keeping them entertained), Kate and I decided to do to a girl's lunch and a little shopping after the field trip.  It was nice to get out of the house for a few hours and spend some one on one time with my favorite girl.  One quick story from the afternoon that made me laugh...when I was paying for our parking at the vending machine in the parking garage at the museum, there was a lady waiting behind us.  I paid little attention to her, but she was, in fact, smoking.  When we got back to the van Kate says, "Mom!  Did you see that lady?  She was holding a candle in her mouth and it was on fire! She was sucking on it so hard that steam was coming out of her mouth!"  It was all I could do to not laugh, and I wasn't going to tell her what the lady was really doing, until Kate added "It was so cool!!!".  So I set her straight with the facts about the "candle".  I guess in her 5 years she has never seen a person smoke before!  I just love that girl, she can always make me laugh!

0 comments: